Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
|PHOTOS: Hong Kong police storm university held by protesters
Police breached a Hong Kong university campus held by protesters early Monday after an all-night siege that included firing repeated barrages of tear gas and water cannons. Anti-government protesters have barricaded themselves inside Hong Kong Polytechnic University for days.
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 2:26 PM
|PHOTOS: Deadly shooting at California football party
Four people were killed and six more wounded when “unknown suspects” sneaked into a backyard filled with people at a party in central California and fired into the crowd, police said.
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 8:09 AM
|Israel intercepts rocket fire from Syria, reportedly hits back
Israel's air defences intercepted four rockets fired from neighbouring Syria on Tuesday, the army said, prompting reported retaliatory missile strikes against the source of the fire. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the rockets were fired from positions around the capital held by groups loyal to the Damascus government. It did not elaborate on which group had launched the rockets or whether there had been any casualties in the retaliatory strikes.
POSTED NOVEMBER 19, 2019 4:18 AM
|Suit seeks to block prosecutor from excluding black jurors
Four black voters and a branch of the NAACP sued a Mississippi prosecutor on Monday, asking a federal judge to order him to stop excluding African Americans from juries. The lawsuit against District Attorney Doug Evans is an outgrowth of a case where the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a murder conviction of an African American man, citing racial bias in jury selection. Evans has tried Curtis Flowers six times for murder in a 1996 slaying, charging that he gunned down four people execution-style in a Winona furniture store.
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 6:59 PM
|Why These 5 Accusers of Jeffrey Epstein Want More Than Money
By now, the contours of Teresa Helm's account have become familiar. She was 22 when she met the man that she now knows was Jeffrey Epstein.She came to Epstein's New York City mansion on the Upper East Side for what she believed to be an interview with a wealthy client for a job as his traveling masseuse, she said. There was talk of lavish parties, exotic travel and educational opportunities.With no one else in the room, Helm said, the man, whom she knew only as Jeffrey, asked for a foot rub. Once she began, she said, he moved his foot into her "intimate parts." When she tried to leave, he grabbed and sexually assaulted her."Don't do anything I wouldn't do," she recalled him saying as she left.Helm returned home to California, deeply disturbed by the experience. Embarrassed and scared, she did not call the police, and she did her best to banish the episode from her memory. It was only 17 years later, when she heard Epstein's name while listening to a YouTube channel shortly after his arrest in July, that she began to realize who had assaulted her in 2002."I can't even describe, it was beyond my heart sinking," said Helm, now a 39-year-old mother of two living in Oakwood, Ohio. "It was something like a force. I was literally overtaken by horror."Helm is one of five women who sued Epstein's estate in U.S. District Court in Manhattan last week, accusing him of rape, battery and false imprisonment and seeking unspecified damages.But the lawsuits have another purpose: to build momentum for changing the statute of limitations in New York and elsewhere for civil claims stemming from sex crimes, which are under growing scrutiny across the United States.According to Child USA, a nonprofit group that works to expand statutes of limitations, nearly two dozen states have changed their laws related to such rules this year. Many of the changes involved claims arising from allegations of childhood sexual abuse.In New York state, the Child Victims Act expanded the statute of limitations for sex crimes against minors. For those abused as adults, the window is often shorter.Legislators in New York now want to create a one-year window that would allow adults to revive old sex-crime accusations and bring them to court, mirroring a mechanism in the state's child victims law. The proposed Adult Survivors Act, which was introduced in October and is supported by the Democratic majority leader of the state Senate, will be debated in next year's legislative session.New York state also recently changed the statute of limitations for some types of rape, expanding it to up to 20 years for both civil and criminal cases.David Boies, the lawyer representing the five women who sued Epstein's estate, said that the nature of sexual assault -- and the shame it can engender -- justified giving victims more time to bring their claims."These are people who are so traumatized, they bury it," he said. "To apply a quote 'normal' statute of limitations to that sort of conduct doesn't make any sense."A lawyer for Epstein's estate, Bennet Moskowitz, did not respond to a request for comment. The estate notified the court last week that it was considering the creation of a financial program to resolve claims filed by women who say they were abused by Epstein.Civil liberties lawyers argue that extending the statute of limitations for civil or criminal cases can put defendants at a great disadvantage: evidence can be lost or deteriorate, and memories can fade.Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement this year that authorities needed to strike a balance between supporting "survivors while maintaining long-standing legal safeguards.""Statutes of limitations exist for an important reason," Lieberman said. "As time passes, it becomes increasingly difficult for the accused to prepare a meaningful defense while evidence gets stale, witnesses disappear, and records become lost."The expansion of such statutes in New York has prompted legal challenges: Last week, a Catholic diocese on Long Island argued in a court filing in state Supreme Court that the Child Victims Act violated the constitutional guarantee of due process.State Sen. Brad Hoylman, the lead sponsor of the Child Victims Act, said that he was gathering support for the Adult Survivors Act. That law, he said, would serve multiple purposes, including identifying serial perpetrators and giving victims a chance to tell their stories publicly."That's largely what survivors are seeking," Hoylman, a Manhattan Democrat, said. "It tells the public you don't have to take it anymore."The five women who sued Epstein's estate last week include two sisters, Maria and Annie Farmer, who say that he abused them in the 1990s and have been outspoken about his behavior.Annie Farmer said she was 16 when Epstein brought her to his New Mexico ranch, where he groped and harassed her, including crawling into bed with her and pressing his genitals against her. Maria Farmer said he assaulted her in Ohio on a separate occasion.The sisters said the statute of limitations in some states was a barrier that prevented abuse victims from achieving justice. They cited a fear of reprisal from abusers, particularly when they were powerful men like Epstein."It can take years or even decades for victims of sexual traumas to understand and process what has happened," said Annie Farmer, now 40 and working as a psychologist. "In my case and in many cases where perpetrators hold positions of power, there is also significant and often warranted fear of retribution that can make the risks of a lawsuit feel too great."Maria Farmer and the other three women who sued Epstein's estate were adults when, they say, the abuse occurred. One, Juliette Bryant, was 20 and an aspiring model when Epstein flew her from her home in South Africa to the Virgin Islands, where he had a home. Once she was there, according to her lawsuit, he forced her into "extreme and repeated sexual abuse," including multiple rapes.Like Helm, Bryant said that it took 17 years from when the first incident occurred for her to come forward, and that she had only done so at the urging of two former boyfriends. She said that she was "terrified of Jeffrey Epstein and his machine.""The current laws do not recognize the trajectory of trauma and abuse," said Bryant, now 37 and a businesswoman in Cape Town. "They need to change."Boies said he intended to test a clause in New York state law that allowed plaintiffs to file lawsuits within a year of the termination of a criminal case against a defendant. In Epstein's case, the clock on such claims began Aug. 29, when federal prosecutors dismissed a sex-trafficking indictment against him after his suicide at the Manhattan Correctional Center.For victims like Helm and her fellow plaintiffs, even the 20 years promised under the new state law seems too short."I can tell you what golden looks like: for the statute of limitations to be removed altogether," she said. "I don't understand the intention of setting a time limit. It's essentially an expiration date, to the eyes of everyone. It's like, 'Oops: It's not a thing anymore. It's not a crime.'"This article originally appeared in The New York Times.(C) 2019 The New York Times Company
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 8:26 AM
|Chuck Todd Confronts GOP Senator: You Blame ‘Everybody’ but Trump on Ukraine Scandal
A month after their explosive confrontation over impeachment and Ukraine, Meet the Press anchor Chuck Todd and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) were back at it on Sunday when Todd pointedly told Johnson that he seemed to “blame this on everybody” but President Trump.Johnson, who has previously said it made him “wince” when U.S. Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland said President Trump would release military aid to Ukraine when Ukraine moved to “get to the bottom of what happened in 2016,” told Todd that he understood why Trump wanted an investigation.“What I also know is when I sprung that on President Trump in my August 31st phone call,” Johnson said on Meet the Press, “he completely denied there was any kind of arrangement—Ukraine had to do something before he released that funding.”GOP Sen. Ron Johnson Loses It on ‘Meet the Press’: I Do Not Trust the FBI or CIAJohnson went on to further claim that during that late-August call with Trump, the president was “already leaning towards providing that funding on August 31” before grousing about the delay being made public.“My guess is that if this never would have been exposed, that funding would have been restored and our relationship with Ukraine would have been far better than it is today,” the Republican senator declared.“Again, you seem to blame this on everybody but the president,” Todd snapped back, prompting Johnson to retort: “I’m not blaming everybody else!” “You are! You are blaming everybody else for the reason why we're in this situation other than the president,” the NBC anchor exclaimed. “Isn’t the president’s own behavior, which raised all of these yellow and red flags, isn’t that why we’re here?”The Wisconsin senator said he was “sympathetic” to Trump because he “has been tormented” since right after he was elected, causing him to take aim at the impeachment inquiry whistleblower’s lawyer for tweeting about a “coup” days after Trump’s inauguration.Todd, however, noted that while Johnson was fuming over early calls for Trump’s impeachment, the Republican lawmaker himself was pushing for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s impeachment days BEFORE the 2016 election.“Understand, that is before an election,” Johnson responded, defending his 2016 remarks. “I am trying to hammer out the political difference before an election. By the way, I completely agree with that. We had been investigating the whole Hillary Clinton email scandal, the exoneration of her, you know, that was not an investigation to really dig out the truth.”Chuck Todd Tells GOP Senator: ‘Don’t Gaslight Us’ on Ukraine-BidenRead more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
POSTED NOVEMBER 17, 2019 12:25 PM
|The New York Times report on China's mass detention of Muslims seems to have broken through Beijing's internet firewall
The Great Firewall may have been breached.Beijing doubled down Monday after The New York Times published a report on over 400 leaked documents that provided a look into China's mass detention of Muslims in the Xinjiang region, though the government didn't dispute the authenticity of the documents."It is precisely because of a series of preventative counterterrorism and de-extremism measures taken in a timely manner that Xinjiang, which had been deeply plagued by terrorism, has not had a violent terrorist incident for three years," said Geng Shuang, a spokesman for China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Geng added that the Times took things out of context in an attempt to "smear and discredit China's antiterrorism and de-extremism capabilities."But aside from Geng's comments, the Times reports that Chinese state media said little else about the issue, which is not surprising given the sensitive nature of the issue. But there were signs that at least some aspects of the leak snuck past Beijing's internet firewall, which blocks access to the Times. One user on Chinese social media platform Weibo reportedly posted about Wang Yongzhi, an official cited in the report who initially helped implement China's harsh measure, but eventually ordered the release of more than 7,000 detention camp inmates before he was arrested. "History will not forget this person and this page of paper," the Weibo user wrote, indicating that the documents might have made their way through. Read more at The New York Times.More stories from theweek.com The potential lie that could actually destroy Trump The coming death of just about every rock legend Everyone will eventually turn on Trump. Even Steve Doocy.
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 3:07 PM
|UPDATE 4-Yemen's Houthis say they will release seized ships if Korean
DUBAI/SEOUL, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi movement said on Tuesday it would release vessels it had captured if they prove to be South Korean, after it seized a rig being towed by a Saudi tugboat in the southern Red Sea. South Korea's foreign ministry said a Korean dredger had been seized on Sunday evening, along with a Korean tugboat and a Saudi tugboat. The Saudi-led coalition fighting against the Houthis said the seized vessels included a Korean drilling rig and the Saudi tug, the Rabigh 3, which was captured by armed Houthi fighters who attacked from two boats.
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 12:34 PM
|Buttigieg campaign criticized for using stock photo of Kenyan woman to promote plan to address US racism
A Buttigieg campaign spokesman apologized for the use of the photo "and for the confusion it created," adding that the use of stock photos is "standard practice."
POSTED NOVEMBER 18, 2019 5:21 PM
|Russia's Monster Typhoon Submarines: Now Tricked Out with 200 Cruise Missiles?
Each carries as many as 200 cruise missiles.
POSTED NOVEMBER 17, 2019 6:00 PM